Top founding leaders of opposition Peoples Democratic Party on Thursday in Abuja formally defected to the Social Democratic Party (SDP) to serve as a third force in Nigeria’s political space and provide more alternatives to Nigerians in the 2019 general election.
Professor Jerry Gana, Professor Tunde Adeniran, Professor Rufai Alkali, Dr. Mohammed Junaid, Shehu Gabam and other top political forces in the former ruling party said their defection is meant to strengthen democracy in Nigeria.
The new SDP remains under the leadership of former Secretary to the Federal Government, Chief Olu Falae while other leaders were infused into the new National Working Committee of the SDP which includes PDP decampees.
The party says it is a party for restructuring. Prof. Jerry Gana later announced the SDP NWC as follows:
1. National Chairman – Chief Olu Falae
2. Abdul Ahmed Ishaq – Deputy National Chairman
3. Secretary – Shehu Gabam
4. National Vice Chairman – Junaid Mohammed (Northwest)
5. National Vice Chairman – Senator Ebenezer Ikenna (Southeast)
6. National Vice Chairman – Supo Shonibare (Southwest)
7. National Vice Chairman Senator E. D. Henshaw (South-South)
8. National Vice Chairman (North-central) Not Present
9. National Vice Chairman (North-east) Not Present
Barr. Joseph Abu – National Legal Adviser
10. National Treasurer
Barr. Emeka Atuma
11. Deputy Publicity Secretary 1 – Alfa Mohammed
12. Deputy Publicity Secretary Team 2 – Adakole Ijoge
13. Kehinde Ayoola – National Financial Secretary
14. Mariam Batubo – National Women Leader
15. Stanley Nwaka – National Youth Leader